I am inspired by a moral upbringing and ethical consciousness, fascinated by the question “How do humans behave?” Experience in the fragility of life has informed the exploration. Through the medium of sculpture, I explore the tenuous relationship between our inner fragile and outer confident self. The flaws that are inherent in all of us, and how we survive despite all of these, fascinate me. Isolation, superficiality, insecurity, imperfection, frailty, ambition, self-assuredness, strength and the combination of these emotional states are most attractive, it is after all the whole selves that make us beautiful.
Bronze on Granite on scorched oak plinth
Wells explores the relationship between our inner fragile self and outer confident self, exposing the flaws that are inherent in all of us and how we survive despite them. Drawing attention to isolation, shallowness, insecurity, imperfection, frailty, ambition, self-assuredness, and strength; when these emotional states are combined, they become attractive. Ultimately, it is the whole of a person including their perceived faults, is beautiful. This piece is based on Viktoria Modesta, the world-famous amputee performer.
From an edition of 12
I obtained a first-class honors degree in Fine Art from Nottingham Trent University, in 1996, and undertook postgraduate studies at Loughborough University, where my tutors included John Atkin FRBS and Dan Archer FRBS.
I have worked on large-scale sculptures 4 meters high and at a more intimate scale 30 cm in mixed media. Inspiration comes from the dynamic movements and resulting shapes produced by the human body, particularly from athletes and dancers. Currently working in bronze I like to place figurative forms in precarious positions using strong geometric steel shapes as supports.
A multi-award-winning sculptor (‘Mind-Body Spirit’ International Art – Competition.net, Best in show, APT Deptford 2015, by Richard Deacon CBE), I sell through various gallery platforms in the UK, The Netherlands, Singapore and USA and work also to commission.
More recently I was commissioned by BBC1 and Netflix to produce a sculpture (I Spirit), for the highly acclaimed drama entitled ‘Dracula’, which went on to feature in “I Weekend” with work by Barbara Hepworth and Banksy. In June 2021 I also won Gold Medal at Blenheim Flower show with Oxford Garden Design Company, and am currently commissioned to produce the sculptural centrepiece for the ‘Blue Peter’ garden, Chelsea Flower Show 2022.
- Gold for Best Garden at Blenheim Flower Show 2021
- Prize winner (4th place) ‘Mind Body Spirit’ International Art – net 2019
- Professional mentoring with Kathy Dalwood, awarded through AXIS 2018
- Shortlisted for Spotlight 2015, The Royal British Society of Sculptors and Andipa Gallery,
- Prize Winner, Creekside Open 2015, APT Gallery, London. Selected and Nominated by Richard Deacon CBE.
- Creative Leicestershire, Business Start up Grant Award, December 2006.
Gallery / Art Park Representation
- GalerieTON, Ruchpen The Netherlands • Saatchi.com
• Jose Gallery USA
• Carlos Reíd Gallery USA
• Art Collection NYC New York
• Artparks International, Guernsey
• The Sculpture Park, Churt, Surrey
• The Sheridan Russell Gallery, London
- Hay Hill gallery – London
- Art Majeur
• Cotswold Sculptors Association
• Yorkshire Artists
• Surrey Sculptors Society
• The Royal Society of Sculptors
• View Gallery
- Buford Gallery, Cotswolds
- The Henderson Gallery, Maltcross, Nottingham “Did you Get the Message?” September 2015
- The Brewhouse Arts Centre – Burton Upon Trent, Staffordshire. “Did You Get The Message?” January – February 2014
- Derby City Art Gallery and Museum – Silk Mill, Derbyshire. “Rational Voices, Irrational Deeds”, July – October 2010
- Rugby Art Gallery and Museum, Rugby, Warwickshire. “Rational Voices in an Irrational World”, August 2009
- Chichele College, Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire. Body and Soul – Fragility in Adversity”, April 2000
- Cotswold Sculpture Park 2022 Season
- Flux Exhibition – Design District – Greenwich Peninsula, London, November 2021
Savill Garden with The Surrey Sculpture Society, September – November 2021
• Fresh Art Fair Cheltenham August 2021
• Sculpture at Beaulieu April – September 2021
• High Clandon Vineyard Surrey July 2021
• Kingham Lodge , Oxfordshire June 2021
• Cotswold Sculpture Park, March – October 2021
• Cotswold Sculpture Park 2020
• Devon Sculpture Park – Weight of the World – National monument to COVID19 victims .
- Hannah Pescher Sculpture Garden May 2020 .
- Sculpture at Doddington Hall 2020 July – September.
- Fake News – Offshoot Gallery London with Art Can March 2020.
- Art in Penallt, Humble by Nature, August 2019
. Borde Hill Gardens, 200th Anniversary, Sussex. May – September 2019
. Marks Hall Sculpture, Marks Tey Essex June – September 2019.
- Beaulieu Park Sculpture may – August 2019
- Turning Tides Festival – Flux at Greenwich Peninsula July 2019
- Flux 2019 The National Army Museum, Chelsea March 2019
- FPS London Ultra at Bargehouse, Southbank – December 2018
- Doddington Hall and Gardens, Lincolnshire July – September 2018.
- Sculpture at Hoveton Hall, June -September 2018
- Flux Exhibition at The Rootstein Hopkins Parade. Chelsea – April 2018.
- Free Painters and Sculptors, Clerkenwell Gallery, London, September 2017
- Laura I Gallery, Barking, London, September 2017
- Grid Studios, Rugby Art Gallery and Museum, Rugby, September 2017
- Free Painters and Sculptors, Oxo Tower Gallery, London, June 2017
- Rugby Art Gallery and Museum Open 2016, December 2016 – January 2017
– Free Painters and Sculptors, The Menier Gallery, London, November 2016
- Grid Studios, Rugby, Warwickshire. October 2016
- Sculpture at Doddington Hall and Gardens, Lincolnshire July – September 2016
- Leyden Gallery, Shoreditch, London, April 2016
- Art Rooms 2016, The Melia White House Hotel, London, January 2016
- FPS Open 2015, The Menier Gallery London, November 2015
- TIAF 2015, The rag Factory, Brick Lane, London, October 2015
- APT Open 2015, Creekside, London, June – July 2015
- Leicester City Open 2015, Newark House Museum and Gardens, March 2015 – May
- Sculpture at Doddington Hall and Gardens, Doddington Hall, Lincolnshire – August 2014.
- Memories’ A collection of works by Grid Studios, Rugby, September 2013
- Warwickshire Open Studios, The Grid, June – July 2013
- Rugby Open, Rugby Art Gallery and Museum, Warwickshire, November – December 2012
- Parallax AF New York, 82 Mercer, Soho, New York – August 2012
- Warwickshire Open Studios, The Grid, Rugby – 30 June – 15 July 2012
- Parallax AF London, La Galleria, Royal Arcade, Pall Mall – June/July 2011.
- Grid Studios, Harborough Magna, Warwickshire – July 2010
- Woburn ArtBeat, Woburn, Bedfordshire, April 2010
- Grid Studios, Harborough Magna, Warwickshire – October 2009.
- Northamptonshire Open Studios, Canons Ashby House and Church, Northamptonshire –
- Sculpture in the Sanctuary, The Sanctuary, Southwell, Nottinghamshire, August 2009.
- Derby City Open, Derby Museum and Art Gallery, Silk Mill, November 2008 – January
- Leicester City Open, 2008, November 2008 – January 2009.
- Open Studios, Barton Hall Studios, Barton Seagrave, August 2008.
- Open Studios, Barton Hall Studios, Barton Seagrave, April 2008.
- NHS Open Exhibition, April 2008 – September 2008 – Four venues in Leicestershire and
- RASG Exhibition Rugby March 2008
- RBSA Members Exhibition February 2008
- RBSA Open Exhibition, December 2007– January 2008.
- Rugby City Art Gallery and Museum Open, November 2007 – January 2008.
- Open Studios, Barton Hall Studios, Barton Seagrave, April 2007.
- Leicester City Art Gallery Open, 2006, November 2006 – January 2007.
Commissions and Permanent Collections
- Blue Peter Garden Sculpture with Juliet Sargeant, Chelsea Flower Show 2022.
- Narcissus 6/12 April 2020 Robert T Webb Sculpture Garden, Georgia USA
- Private Commission to commemorate 60th Birthday April 2020
- Commission for sculpture for the drama ‘Dracula’ produced by Mark Gatiss shown on The BBC and Netflix
- Commission for BBC1 client – April 2019
- Portrait bust for client in Oxfordshire March 2019
- Bronze commission for client in Essex February 2019
- ‘Lions of The Great War Monument’, Assisted Luke Perry and foundry in making of public monument to Sikh contribution in First World war, Smethwick, Birmingham. October 2018
- Restoration of Thomas Telford in Telford Shropshire August 2018
- AK Designs Shropshire, Figurative Herons in bronze for console base, Private client in
- Steve Hayzen-Smith, private client, Love, Life and Happiness, January 2015.
- Damian Daar, private client. – Sculpture of Sancho Panza December 2014
- Gillian Keighley, private client – Commemorative sculpture of the life and work of the
scientist John H Keighley, August 2014.
- Connections in Design Ltd, Birmingham.
- Sculpture in Schools ART UK LTD to deliver a sculpture in schools program workshop and presentation – Coventry September 2020 (delayed due to COVID19)
- Art and Design Technician KINGS NORTON GIRLS SCHOOL – Birmingham – Jul7 2019 to Present
- Fine Artist / Sculptor / Tutor TERESA WELLS MRBS – Rugby – July 2007 to Present
- Adult and Community Tutor – Arts NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COUNCIL – Northampton – September 2007 to March 2013
- Interior Design Tutor MILTON KEYNES COLLEGE – Milton Keynes – September 2006 to July 2007
- Design Team Leader Interior Design INSIDE RIGHT LTD. – Stoke-on-Trent – January 2005 to October 2005
- Interior Designer CONNECTIONS IN DESIGN LTD. – Birmingham – January 2000 to January 2005